Friday, June 7, 2024

Congrats, Little Man and Sweet Pea!

They're off to middle school! MJ and I attended a sweet "promotion" ceremony at Sweet Pea and Little Man's elementary school today. The kids sang and receited their pledges, and Sweet Pea was recognized with the Music award. Little Man maintained a stoic demeanor, refusing to smile at us the entire ceremony, but afterwards he was full of smiles as he mingled with his classmates and took pictures.



MJ and I said goodbye, and they headed into a party with the rest of their class. After school I took them to Dairy Queen, because Little Man had earned a treat for getting straight As, and Sweet Pea had won a $15 gift card for winning the hula hoop contest at the class party.

After dinner tonight, MJ and I gave them their gifts: copies of Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr Suess, with notes from and pictures of every teacher they've had. Neither Little Man nor Sweet Pea are particularly sentimental, so I didn't think they'd be too interested in the books. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much time they each took, flipping through the pages, marveling over the pictures of themselves over the years and commenting on what their teachers had written.

I love our sweet elementary school, and I've been so involved there over the years that the kids used to think I worked there. It's so strange to think that it won't be part of our lives anymore! After next year, the building will be demolished and replaced with a brand-new facility, and while I'm happy for the incoming students, it's a little sad to thing there will be nothing left of our family's time here.

But like I said several times today, every new chapter of the kids' lives gets better. I'm so excited to see how they learn and grow in middle school. Selfishly, I will really appreciate having all three kids at the same school next year.

We love you, Sweet Pea and Little Man! We're so proud of you can can't wait to see how you bloom in a new environment next year!

No comments: