Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Peach-Rhubarb Cobbler

The first few weeks after we found out I was pregnant, we tried not to get too excited.  I didn't read any pregnancy books or look at any pregnancy web pages until around the 7th week.

So in my 7th week, when I found this page, I learned that my tiny embryo was already the size of a blueberry.  How adorable!  That reminded me of my mom's blueberry buckle (a blueberry crumb cake).  So I made one for me and MJ that week, to celebrate our little blueberry.  And a tradition was born.  Every week now, I make a little snack or treat featuring the food that is the same size as our baby.

Week 7: Blueberry Buckle
Week 8: Raspberry Smoothies
Week 9: (Green Olives -- yuck -- I used green grapes instead!) Green Grape Delight
Week 10: (Prunes -- yuck again -- I used small strawberries!) Strawberry Shortcake
Week 11: Key Lime Tarts
Week 12: Plum Tart

So far, our favorite has been the key lime tarts, although the plum tart last week was also really good.  I wouldn't recommend the Green Grape Delight (garlic, cream cheese, and grapes is not the best combination, but there weren't a lot of options for grapes).

This week, I made peach-rhubarb cobbler.  (For the peaches, of course.  Rhubarb would be an odd thing to compare a baby to.)  It was good, but the dough was a little too heavy on the lime for my taste.  And next time I would probably use a different fruit combination.


Stay tuned to see what we have next week!

P.S.  I take this "list" with a grain of salt, because it seems a very large jump to go from a plum to a peach.  Especially at our grocery store, where the peaches are larger than softballs and easily 3 times bigger than plums!  But like MJ said, we're not doing this for the scientific accuracy; we're just doing it as a creative and delicious way to celebrate our baby's development.

No comments: