Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

See, the problem with switching reference sites halfway through this pregnancy is that sometimes things don't make sense.  For example: the website I used for the first 20 weeks told me that Otto was the size of a cantaloupe in Week 20.  But then I was forced to switch to a different site for the second half of my pregnancy.  Imagine my surprise when the second site told me that this week, Week 26, Otto is the size of a cantaloupe!

Well, to be honest, there aren't a lot of cantaloupe recipes out there.  And I really thought I'd hit it out of the park back in Week 20 when I made cantaloupe sorbet.  So I did a little hunting around and found yet a third reference site that claimed Otto is the size of an eggplant this week.

Sigh.  According to site #2, Otto was the size of an eggplant in Week 23!  This is so confusing!  However, I was never able to make an eggplant dish in Week 23, because we were on our cruise, so I gave up and decided to go with eggplant this week.

Thanks to my cousin Christine, I was all set to make a very creative, very yummy eggplant dish, when out of nowhere MJ requested eggplant parmesan.  MJ doesn't make too many specific food requests (other than "let's go out tonight"), so I decided to appease him.  I'll save the creative eggplant recipe for another night.


(For those who might be interested, I used my own recipe for this.  It's the same recipe I use for lasagna, but instead of noodles here I used layers of sliced/breaded/fried eggplant.  Layer in the pan as follows: fried eggplant, followed by the pasta sauce of your choice, followed by dabs of cream cheese mixed with one egg, followed by fresh mozzerella, followed by grated parmesan.  Repeat as often as your pan will allow.  Cook for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

And don't knock the cream cheese mixture till you've tried it!  Seriously, it's amazing -- and the main reason why MJ loves my lasagna better than any other he's tried!)

No comments: