Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th!

Can you stand the cuteness?!


We hope everyone is having a great Independence Day!  We started off the weekend on Saturday afternoon, driving 2.5 hours to my brother and sister-in-law's house.  It was CC's longest car ride, and she was not pleased.  She screamed for the last 1.5 hours of the trip, which was maddening for me and MJ and exhausting for all three of us.

We finally arrived at Jon and Susan's, and what did we do?  Made the brilliant decision to take CC to the neighborhood pool.  I know, I know.  What were we thinking?  But she seemed to be in a better mood, and we had been really looking forward to going swimming with her for the first time.

Well, CC was having none of it.  The second we arrived at the pool, she lost it.  After trying to console her for about 20 minutes, we threw in the towel and went back to my brother's house.  Poor CC was overtired and overstimulated, and left quite an impression on everyone else at the pool.

So I'm sorry, but I do not have any adorable swimming pictures to share.  We didn't even get close to the pool!

But Saturday wasn't over yet.  CC showed Jon and Susan the true depth of her rage later that evening, when we gave her a bath.  I think everyone's ears are still ringing.  And Jon and Susan have a new appreciation for their mellow and calm baby, Dane!

Sunday we all went to my parents' house, and it was a much more relaxing day for CC.  Having learned our lesson, MJ and I kept CC to a very strict schedule of naps and meals, and it worked well -- no meltdowns.  My parents were thrilled to be on the receiving end of lots of smiles and coos from CC, and MJ and I were thrilled to relax and know that CC was happy.

We drove home this morning, and fortunately CC slept most of the way.  Overall, the weekend was good -- it was great to see my family, especially our nephew Dane, who is already 8 months old and seemingly changing by the minute.  And we learned a valuable lesson about what happens when we stray too far from CC's normal routine.  She is truly a baby who thrives on a strict schedule!

More pictures of the family to come ...

1 comment:

Yolo Momma said...

Hehe.....Eliza also traveled to see family this weekend and had her first experience in a swimsuit and a kiddie pool with daddy. If the water was only warm enough, she would have lasted longer. But on our 3.5 hr drive, she slept the WHOLE way there!