Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ultrasound

Yesterday I had my nuchal translucency ultrasound, which screened the babies for signs of Down's Syndrome or Trisomy 18. 

The good news is that both babies tested normal!  There is a very low chance of either of these disorders.  Thank God!  What great news!  The screening took longer than usual, because both babies were extremely active -- literally doing flips! -- so we had to wait for them to calm down before we could take measurements.

I also had some bloodwork done, which will be repeated in three weeks, which will tell me if the babies are at risk for neural-tube defects like Spina Bifida.  I am praying for normal results there, and will find out this week if the first round of bloodwork was clear.

The ultrasound yesterday took place at a Maternal-Fetal Medicine practice where I will be monitored throughout my pregnancy (as well as at my obstetrician's.)  There will be more appointments for this pregnancy than with CC's, for sure.  Fortunately everyone seemed very nice there and I look forward to my future appointments.

The technician was very nice yesterday and allowed me to "break the rules" and get some video of the ultrasound.  So, you lucky people, here's a sneak peek of the Morrison twins:


Baby B is first, then Baby A, then both.  Don't worry: both babies are labeled so you'll know who is who.  You'll notice that Baby A is a little less clear to see.  That's because Baby A is located behind Baby B, so the ultrasound waves have to literally travel through Baby B in order for us to see Baby A.  This will continue to be the case throughout my pregnancy, and is totally normal.  Fortunately modern ultrasound technology is good enough that we can still get pretty good pictures of Baby A!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carol said...

It must have been a little surreal to see TWO in there. They look quite comfortable :)