Thursday, November 29, 2012

Crafty

When my friends Carol and Tom gifted the twins with two adorable hats (from Hanna Andersson, in case anyone is interested), I tried to think of a way to make them "twinny."  Aqua and navy are such a great color combination, I realized that if I had identical pom-poms made of navy, aqua and white, then both hats would have cute little pom-poms and be matchy at the same time.

Off I went to the internet.  Shockingly, I could not find anyone who made or sold custom pom-poms!  Not even Etsy, the website dedicated to any hand-made craft you could possibly imagine, offered me the option to have someone make them for me.  But a basic internet search revealed that -- who knew? -- pom-poms are apparently easy to make yourself!

Now "crafty" is not a term I would normally apply to myself. I lack the vision required to a) think of interesting, creative things to make, and b) create said objects out of items such as embroidery floss, drinking straws, and styrofoam peanuts, like some kind of hot-gun-gluing MacGyver.

But surely I could do this, right?  In my copious spare time?  When I'm also trying to complete a cross-stitch for my baby nephew, spend quality time with my husband, and occasionally *gasp* read a book?  (Which I haven't done since Sweet Pea and Little Man were born, by the way.  Desperately flipping through Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child doesn't count.)

Off I went to the fabric store, where I picked out yarn in colors that matched perfectly.  And after a test pom-pom met with my satisfaction, I made two and stitched them to the tops of their hats.  Voila!  Here is the result:


I love the hats so much (super soft and warm, by the way) that I'm going to get one for CC too, probably bright pink, and make a pom-pom for her too. 

1 comment:

The Macons said...

Whey are absolutely adorable! Would love to see the 3 of them in matching hats!