Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This Week in Solids ...

We are continuing (slowly) to introduce new foods to Sweet Pea and Little Man.  I admit, the reason we're going so slowly is that I am not prioritizing it.  I mean to give them new foods every 3-4 days, but at this stage the foods need to be pureed and that takes time I rarely have.  I endeavor to be better about it in the future!

But for now, they get oatmeal every morning.  Little Man gobbles it like a champ.  Sweet Pea is getting better and starting to actually open her mouth for the spoon occasionally (woo hoo!).

I try to give them a pureed vegetable later in the day, too.  So far we've done sweet potato:



and avocado:



As the picture of Little Man suggests, sweet potato wasn't a hit right off the bat.  Both babies did a lot of retching and gagging.  I suspect it was because I mashed it with a fork instead of blending it really smoothly.  The next day I pureed it with an immersion blender, adding some water to thin it down, and both babies greatly preferred it that way.

The jury is still out on avocado.  They both seemed to enjoy it at first, so I was optimistic.  But after a few spoonfuls, they both stopped eating it and started fussing when I continued trying.  We'll have to try it again sometime (it's hard to do avocado because you can't really save it for later).

No comments: