Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Eight Months!

Happy Eight Months, Sweet Pea and Little Man!!  Time is flying and I couldn't be happier!


There's been a lot of changes going on.  With this month's milestones, they are getting ever closer to that happy place I call being "real babies."  Sitting up, starting to feed themselves, being more independent, interacting with others, entertaining themselves ... it's a happy place for everyone involved.

The biggest milestone this month was sitting up.  Hooray!  Sweet Pea and Little Man are both champs at it now, and rarely topple over.  They love to sit down and bang on toys, take toys away from each other, and keep an eye on me and CC.

Another milestone I haven't mentioned here yet.  It may seem small, but it is major to me: they are holding their own bottles.  Do you know how much time it takes to feed a baby, and then turn around and feed another baby?  A lot, that's how much.  Multiply that times four meals a day -- yeah, I spend a lot of time feeding babies.  Which means CC spends a lot of time being a holy terror because I'm occupied.

They aren't complete pros at it yet, but I can lay them down on the floor and get them started, then step away.  Now I get CC's lunch ready, attend to her if she needs something, run to the bathroom, etc. -- all while checking in on the twins to make sure neither's bottle is out of alignment or dripping all over the floor.

They are also both starting to occasionally get up on all fours.  I'm sure crawling isn't too far away!


Little Man almost always has a huge smile on his face, and he's a good baby for the most part.  He still has his flashbacks to those rough first six months, but he has improved so much I don't even mind.  He loves to be tickled and is learning to like books.

He babbles a bit, but doesn't really like loud noises.  When Sweet Pea gives a happy shriek, Little Man is likely to burst into tears.  I hope he grows out of this, because with a household of busy kids and a big dog, there is never much quiet!

Little Man feeds himself fairly well.  He has a seemingly insatiable appetite.  He can chug an 8-ounce bottle, then turn around and eat a tub of yogurt plus an entire banana or several ounces of broccoli.  I wonder what he weighs, but we won't know until his 9-month appointment.

He is wearing size 3 diapers, although occasionally I will put one of CC's size 4's on him, and it fits fine.  He is wearing mostly 9-month or 6-12-month clothing.  Thank goodness several friends of mine with boys have given me hand-me-downs, so I won't need to buy an entire summer wardrobe for him.


Sweet Pea is still my littlest angel, at just 14 pounds 13 ounces at her hematology appointment earlier this week.  That's about the 3rd percentile -- wow.  But she is the more advanced, physically and verbally, of the two babies.

Sweet Pea was the first to sit up on her own.  She is also doing better at holding her own bottle.  She will not feed herself, but I don't think it's from lack of ability.  I think it's because she doesn't put anything in her mouth -- toys, clothes, her hands, food, anything.

She babbles and shrieks all day.  She's almost always happy, but lately she's been showing a bit of a temper, which almost makes me laugh.  If you take a toy away from her, she is likely to scream at you.

She was wearing 6-month clothes towards the end of the winter, but now that the warm weather is here I was shocked to realize that she fits into all CC's 3-month summer clothes.  I'm not complaining, because it keeps me from buying her all new summer clothes, but it reminds me on a daily basis just how small she is.  She is wearing size 3 diapers, only because I refused to have three different sizes of diapers in the house.

No comments: