Thursday, April 17, 2014

Ready for Easter

Hot off the presses! (or the sewing machine, as it were ...)


I had some doubts in the last few days whether I would get these basket liners done in time. But I'm happy -- and unreasonably proud -- to show these babies off.

This was a classic case of a good idea gone haywire. I wanted some nice Easter baskets for the kids, but who wants to pay those exorbitant Pottery Barn prices?! Not me! I was sure I could make them on my own.

Baskets: purchased 9 months ago.
Cute fabric: purchased 6 months ago.
Time spent doing approximately nothing: 5.75 months.
Mad scrambling and working fingers to the bone: 1 week.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had so many visits by the Good Idea Fairy (I hate her). It'd be a good idea if I tailored the covers to the curve of the baskets, instead of gathering the fabric with an elastic.  It'd be a good idea if I fully lined the covers with white fabric. It'd be a good idea if I sewed buttons on the sides instead of just using bows. Stop the madness!

Anyway, they're done now and I'm inordinately pleased with how they turned out. I took them to have the kids' names embroidered today. CC picked the yellow ribbon, Little Man has the green, and Sweet Pea has the pink. The baskets will debut at our neighborhood Easter egg hunt on Saturday, and I'm sure they will be adorable and functional and everything an Easter basket should be.

(But next time I'm tempted to make something myself, I might ask, "What am I really saving?!")

No comments: