Saturday, March 14, 2015

Goodbye, Glasses

CC's checkup at the ophthalmologist was last week, and frankly, I was just hoping her astigmatism wasn't worse. It's difficult to keep a 3-year-old's glasses on, and I'm always worried that she isn't wearing them often enough.

The doctor and nurses did many tests on her, covering up one eye and then the other, showing her large and small pictures and having her say what they were (she even knew what an old-fashioned telephone was -- how?!), and dilating her eyes. They kept looking at each other with surprised expressions, and checking CC's results against her previous visit. I was getting worried.

Finally, the doctor turned to me and said, "I don't think she needs glasses anymore!" You could have knocked me over with a feather -- it was the last thing I was expecting to hear. Apparently her glasses have corrected her astigmatism over the last 8 months. Many high-fives for CC! Cheers all around!


I took her out for a celebratory lunch, followed by a celebratory cookie. Yay for CC!


The plan is to have her wear no glasses for 6 months, then she'll be re-evaluated. It's possible the astigmatism will recur, but the doctor says there's a 70-80% chance she'll be fine.

Of course, having inherited my DNA, chances are she'll be horribly nearsighted in the future, and will need glasses anyway. But at least we have a reprieve!

2 comments:

Yolo Momma said...

Its going to take time getting use to her new look I am sure! Her face seems naked without them.

Morrisons said...

I agree! I keep catching myself about to nag her to put her glasses back on.