Thursday, September 29, 2016

Tough Times

Yesterday we drove MJ to work, so that after I dropped the kids off at school, I could take his car to get new tires put on (he's been driving around on a donut for the last two weeks). The morning went very smoothly. The appointment was on time; I was able to run errands on foot while the tires were being installed; I even had enough time afterwards to get the inspection done on his car before picking Sweet Pea and Little Man up from preschool. I was pretty proud of myself.

Then I got to the front of the carpool line, and realized I was still in MJ's car. Which has no carseats. I was no longer patting myself on the back for having my act together.

Fortunately, a good friend was able to stay and watch the twins play on the preschool playground while I drove home and switched cars. Then it was home and down for (late) naps.

After dinner, we got in the car to go pick up MJ from work. We drove through a massive storm to get there. You know, the kind where your windshield wipers are going as fast as they can, and you still can't see anything? Thunder was booming, lightning was crackling, the kids were freaking out, and I was crawling along the highway towards MJ's office at 10  miles an hour.

Eventually we all got home, none the worse for the wear, and walked in the door ... to see that Rory had absolutely destroyed the laundry room. I'd forgotten that as she's gotten older, she's become more and more upset during storms, especially when we're not home. Confined to the laundry room, she ravaged everything she could get her paws on. She'd dragged the giant bin of OxiClean out of the closet and shredded it, spreading white powder inches deep across the floor. She (somehow?) snapped in half our wooden rail of hooks for the kids' coats and bags, ripping the straps off CC's new backpack in the process. (That rail was installed in the studs of the wall, so don't ask me how she did that!) And then, just for fun, she peed all over the place, and apparently spent the rest of the time tracking pee-soaked OxiClean all over every inch of the floor, the kids' bags, and her own bed.

I momentarily thought about taking a picture of the chaos, but was too discouraged. Seeing streaks of blood on the floor, I felt awful for the panic Rory must have felt. But to be honest, I mostly felt sorry for myself, cleaning such a complete disaster.

Anyway, thank goodness for teamwork. MJ wrangled the kids upstairs and into bed while I tackled the disaster downstairs. It's mostly done now. I was able to stitch up CC's backpack to a reasonably functional facsimile of what it used to be. A new rail of hooks has been ordered. And a Thunder Shirt for Rory will arrive tomorrow-- thank goodness for Amazon Prime.

No comments: