Monday, May 14, 2018

Welcome Amber!

Today MJ and I drove all the way to Tennessee to pick up the newest member of our family. Meet Amber!

She is a show dog who wasn't winning in the ring because her tail curls up, so her owner surrendered her. My disgust over that person's lack of responsibility towards her animals is tempered by my pleasure at finding a healthy, young, female Ridgeback for us. One of the few details we know of Amber's previous life is that she was an outdoor dog, so already we know her life will improve dramatically now that she's ours.

Our first impressions of this girl are: she's bigger than Rory was, she's beautiful, she's very quiet, and she's really nervous of us. She flinches when we move quickly, which makes my heart hurt for her. And I don't think she's been around kids much, because she grumbles when ours get too close, and a few times she's made nasty-sounding barks at them. I hope that gets better after she adjusts to our household.


For now, she will sleep in a crate in our room until we know what her house manners are. She is not houstrained, so we need to work on that. But nothing good is easy, right? With just a little time and energy, I'm hopeful she will be a wonderful dog for us. Welcome to the Morrison family, Amber!

(Many thanks to my parents, who took care of the kids so MJ and I could make the trip quickly and easily. Also, thanks to Alice for taking this shockingly perfect picture of us! Even Amber is looking straight at the camera!)

No comments: