Thursday, April 14, 2011

40w5d Update

This morning I had another OB appointment:  a non-stress test (NST) followed by an exam.  Once again, Otto passed the NST with flying colors, so clearly he and the placenta are still doing very well.

My doctor is out of town until Sunday, so my exam was done by a different doctor in the practice.  It was nice to meet her, because she is the doctor on call this weekend.  And if I can't have my own doctor deliver the baby, at least this doctor isn't a complete stranger.

Anyway, much to my relief, she announced that I am no longer quite as tight as a drum!  She said I am maybe half a centimeter dilated, and starting to soften just a bit.  Although this is only miniscule progress, I was happy to hear it, because it's at least a (tiny) step in the right direction.  Until this morning's appointment, it seemed like my body was refusing to acknowledge that we have to deliver a baby soon!

I still hope to go into labor on my own in the next few days.  Short of that, I am looking forward to my appointment on Monday, when they will hopefully tell me I am several centimeters dilated and perfectly poised for an induction.

No comments: