Thursday, May 1, 2014

Bizarre Coincidence

For CC's birthday, MJ's parents sent down a very special gift: the blocks MJ had as a child. These aren't just any blocks. I'd heard about these special blocks for years. MJ's parents purchased them from a custom wooden toy maker in New England, who made them all by hand, plus a wooden wagon for all the blocks to fit in.


I loved the wooden blocks I had as a child, so I was excited that my children would have a set too. And the fact that they were MJ's just made them more special. I awaited the arrival of the blocks with eager anticipation.

Three very heavy boxes arrived two weeks ago. As soon as MJ came home from work, we opened them up. CC was most excited about the wagon, but I was really struck by the blocks themselves. They looked exactly like the blocks I had as a child! I mean, exactly the same. The color, the grain of the wood, the size, even all the unusual shapes (half-circles, arches, cylinders). 

I mentioned the blocks to my mom the next time I called her. Imagine my shock when she told me that the blocks I had as a child were also purchased from that custom wooden toy maker in New England!

This would have been in the late '70s or early '80s, before Etsy and online shopping, before a craftsman might "go viral" and become well-known across the country. How utterly bizarre that our parents would have bought us the same blocks from the same toy maker!

Now these blocks are even more special to me and to our family. I know all three kids will get years of enjoyment out of them. As for my old blocks? They're in a big bin in my parents' attic, ready and waiting for the attention of CC, Little Man, Sweet Pea, and their cousins.

No comments: