Sunday, November 15, 2015

Kids' Bathroom

The kids' bathroom upstairs has been done for a long time, but I've just gotten around to taking pictures of it. It's one of my favorite rooms in the house now, and not just because it's the only new room that I've completed!

Here's what it looked like when we moved in. 


We hadn't done much to it, besides put knobs on the drawers and change the shower curtain. The vanity, although long, had only one sink; the tile on the floor was discolored and cracking; the fake marble shower insert was stained; and the whole thing was builder-basic and old.

My philosophy on the revised bathroom: now that we have a guest bathroom for visitors, why not let this bathroom be unabashedly for the kids? So I decided to theme it around bubbles (appropriate for a bathroom!) and make it 100% kid-functional and fun.

We put in a new double vanity that takes up the same amount of space in the bathroom, but is twice as functional. We framed the mirror to match the finish on the vanity, and put a happy turquoise color on the walls. I found some adorable bubble-related prints on Etsy and framed them. I put bubble decals going up one wall (one of the little touches I like the most).



I opted for towel hooks instead of rods -- easier for little hands -- and mounted them down low so the kids can hang up their own towels after baths.


Lastly, the kids and I made a piece of artwork to hang over the toilet. It's a canvas that's "painted" with colored bubbles. I just mixed food coloring with bubble liquid, and then we blew bubbles and let them pop on the canvas. I love how it turned out! 


The end result is exactly what I was going for: a bright, happy room that's cute, functional, and perfect for the kids!

No comments: